There just aren't enough milliners in today's world. Or at least they don't go by that name. It specifically referred to one who designed, made or trimmed women's hats. According to Amasa Parker's "Landmarks of Albany County," William Henry Hallenbeck was born in Knox in 1859, and was of an old Albany Dutch family. His family moved into Albany in 1868. He clerked in a grocery store for five years and then became a clerk for J.&J. Doran, dealers in woodenware, In 1889 he set out on his own with a wholesale and retail millinery business at 92 South Pearl Street. In addition to being a millinery man, he was a bit of a joiner: he was a member of two lodges of the Knights of Pythias, a Free and Accepted Mason, and an Odd Fellow. His fine store was probably just about where the South Mall Arterial flies over South Pearl Street today.